Sunday, November 8, 2009

Not Quite A Paisa Per Second

Yesterday I made a grab for the offer by our nations largest mobile service  provider, Airtel, enabling me to make calls at a pulse of 1 second and the rate for which being 1 paisa. This offer has been made to compete the Tata Docomo's offer of 1paisa / second call rate, and since I didnt want to get a new number I went for the offer by Airtel.

But, the shock I got, when I found out that for each call made, I was billed for 2-5 seconds extra. My phone would say a call duration of 27 seconds where as the charge was for 34 seconds. This is quite unethical and truely cheating their customers. Remember, I had to pay additional amount to get this service activated.

I am not a cheapo. I wouldnt care much about the money. But I think India is not given the treatment that it ought to get from the service industry. Had is been the USA, I am sure there would be lots of compensations going out to the customers, where the service providers would go bankcrupt.

4 comments:

  1. Bravo ! ! well written ,.. Its time consumer organisations in India take up this matter ... Airtel and vodafone are actually trying to form some sort of cartel ..... save us from this Oligopoly .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. True... These companies like airtel and vodafone have been cheating like this since ages... I, myself can fill pages stating there atrocities...
    Nice post, short, crisp and easy to read..!

    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I beg to differ on your comments..
    they always carry an * with diminutive footers saying "conditions Applied"..
    Which none of us(me included) bother to check.
    its our responsibility to check them out.

    Airtel Rules!
    Long LEAVE Airtel!
    RIP Customer!

    BTW the plan mentions by you is only applicable for calls between airtel customers..hope there are no more conditions applicable to this condition..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What conditions....except for the +/- 1 sec allowable by TRAI, why should they charge for more? Its not like they sit with stopwatch to count the time. They will be having a sophisticated system for that........So how can they justify this? And BTW you want airtel to live long or Leave long?

    ReplyDelete